In the past, granary of the Replubic of Genova and Podesteria, Triora is today known as “Witches Town” because of a trial held here in 1588 which convicted a group of local women of witchcraft. Guilty of meeting together at night in a secluded place (la Cabotina) and so responsible for the famine. This fact is kept alive in the local ethnographic and witchcraft museum to the advantage of the local shps and art and handicraft workshops.
They display curious witch-dolls and sell witches liqueurs, snail milk, concoctions and brews made with grappa and aromatic herbs. This medieval village is a small work of art, steep, coarse, built without obstacles, intact with its defence system of, doors, arches, narrow passages and fortified houses.